Turkey Meatballs with Chili Cranberry Sauce
We had a pre-thanksgiving cocktail party the other day and served these as an appetizer. They were gobbled up in a matter of minutes. Sweet cranberry sauce with the zing and heat of chili and horseradish. The turkey meatballs marry well with these flavors.
Turkey Meatballs In Chili Cranberry Sauce
servings: roughly 40 mini meatballs
For the meatballs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground dark turkey meat
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the sauce
- 1 16 oz can of whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 12 oz jar of chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon or so of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
For the meatballs, mix onion, garlic, egg, bread crumbs, parsley, salt and pepper in a large bowl with the ground turkey. Shape the mixture into tablespoon sized balls. Saute in olive oil until browned for about 5 minutes per ball.
For the sauce, mix 1 can of cranberry, 1 jar of chili sauce, brown sugar and horseradish in a round casserole, bring to a simmer on the stove-top for 10-15 minutes. Add the browned turkey meatballs and let simmer about 20 minutes. Best if let to sit in the sauce overnight in the fridge.